• News
  • Finance

Fox News chief negotiating exit from network

Fox officials, though, have continued to say Ailes' future with the network remains unclear.

The source, who had been briefed on the investigation into Ailes, told the magazine that Kelly had made a decision to come forward about her own harrasment because she saw other women within Fox coming to Ailes' defense. "When Fox News did not commence any negotiations to renew her contract, Ms. Carlson became aware that her career with the network was likely over and conveniently began to pursue a lawsuit". Ailes's attorney, Susan Estrich, told The New York Times Ailes is in advanced stages of discussions about his departure as chairman of Fox News.

In a statement released by 21st Century Fox, the parent company of FOX News, Roger Ailes is "still at work".

Pushing Mr. Ailes out in the heat of the US presidential campaign season would be a dramatic step and could be risky, given how crucial election coverage is for cable-news outlets.

James Murdoch, Mr Murdoch's younger son and chief executive, was pushing for Mr Ailes to go as soon as possible, those people said.

Megyn Kelly has reportedly joined the list of women claiming Roger Ailes sexually harassed them. Now, several media outlets are reporting that Rupert Murdoch and his sons are negotiating a departure by the 76-year-old Ailes.

This follows the bombshell report from Gabriel Sherman of New York Magazine that Kelly, one of the most recognizable anchors at Fox News, had alleged harassment against her boss in conversations with investigators from 21st Century Fox.

The stunning development comes less than two weeks after Gretchen Carlson filed the suit in a state court in New Jersey, alleging that Ailes sabotaged her career because she refused his sexual advances.




Roger Ailes appears to be on his way out at Fox News, the news network he built into a powerful, influential and friendly voice for conservatives, due to allegations of sexual harassment that stretch back for decades. But the claims by Ms. Carlson and the resulting frenzy in the media world have forced them to make a hard calculation about Mr. Ailes's future. In fact, he has spent much of the last decade promoting and helping her to achieve the stardom she earned, for which she has repeatedly and publicly thanked him.,' the statement read. Either they can throw all in behind Megyn Kelly-in which case they would have to forfeit most of the rest of the network-or they can stand with the hardworking anchors and news personalities at Fox News. She worked for the network for 11 years, serving as co-host in the popular morning "Fox & Friends" show and as a host of her own afternoon news broadcast.

So, sure enough, as Trump wins the nomination, Kelly finds a way to commandeer the news cycle to put herself not just in the middle of the story-but to make all the news about her.

Ailes' exit could bring more chaos to Fox News. Potential candidates as replacements, at least on an interim basis, include Jay Wallace, who is in charge of news programming at the network, and Bill Shine, who oversees Fox's non-news and opinion content.

Six other women, all former Fox employees, contacted Carlson's lawyer to share similar stories after the lawsuit was presented July 6. He returned to TV in the early 1990s, as executive producer of Rush Limbaugh's TV show and then as president of CNBC.

Ultimately, Mr. Ailes signed on for three years and technically reports to all three Murdochs, making him the only 21st Century Fox executive who still is a direct report to Rupert Murdoch.

While most Fox News Channel female staffers lined up to support Ailes, one didn't: Megyn Kelly.

Ailes said the allegations were untrue and defamatory.

Leave Your Comment

Leave Your Comment


Latest News

  • Alabama suspends Taylor indefinitely following DUI arrest

    Alabama suspends Taylor indefinitely following DUI arrest

    Taylor was also notably named as a preseason second-team All-SEC selection just last week. Taylor is now listed at 345 pounds on the latest roster on the team's official website.

    A look at the third round of the British Open

    He hits some spectacular shots and, yeah, he's a great competitor. "I know what I would like to see happen [Sunday]". Henrik Stenson overtook Phil Mickelson for the first time Saturday at the British Open at Royal Troon.

Breaking News



Recommended